Challenge: Develop campaign collateral for a vision in progress, based around a building in extreme disrepair.
St. Stephen’s University owned a circa 1875 mansion built by William Frederick Todd, former Lieutenant Governor of New Brunswick (1923-1928). The university was developing an innovative campaign to renovate the historic site into a school of fine arts, the first of it’s kind in the area. Fundraising and development collateral was required to approach major donors with a clear and confident vision of the project. The building itself was in serious disrepair, and its condition needed to be de-emphasized.
- Crafted student profiles that were relevant to the campaign’s objectives – although the university only offered Liberal Arts programming, many students at that time were also working and aspiring artists.
- Photographed creative events at the university that suggested the vision using authentic students and community members.
- Commissioned an original oil painting of the building for use in the campaign as a vision of the transformed structure, both as a creative photography resource, and as a physical asset to be gifted, auctioned, etc. Original painting courtesy of Jessica Weatherhead (jessweatherhead.com).
- Photographed intact details of the historic building evocative of its former grandeur.
- Assembled a vision-focused, full-colour bi-fold in cover stock protecting a clean, professional letter of the intent. Small graphic details linked the letter piece to the the bi-fold.
- Employed he university’s branding and typography throughout, but in a way that maintain a sense of freshness and openness to innovation – bright fresh colours on airy, white space, clear well-spaced lettering, etc.